History of the Library
Historical and Philosophical Society of Ohio incorporated by act of the Ohio legislature. The meetings of the organization were held in Columbus, Ohio.
Cincinnati Historical Society organized.
Historical and Philosophical Society of Ohio and the Cincinnati Historical Society merge. The organization retains the name Historical and Philosophical Society of Ohio, but the collections and meeting place move to Cincinnati.
The Society, which had been meeting in various rented spaces, leases space in the Cincinnati College building.
Lack of funds force the Society to give up rooms in the college. The collection is stored by the public library..
Historical and Philosophical Society of Ohio is reorganized.
The Society moves back into the rooms in the Cincinnati College building.
Society purchases the William R. Ramsey house on 8th St.
Society moves its collections to rooms in the University of Cincinnati's library.
Society changes its name to the Cincinnati Historical Society in an effort to differentiate itself from the Ohio Historical Society and better reflect the scope of the collections.
The Society moves into new quarters, this time in a new wing of the Cincinnati Art Museum in Eden Park.
County-wide levy passed which provided funds for the renovation of Union Terminal as a site for the Cincinnati Historical Society and Cincinnati Museum of Natural History.
Society moves into Union Terminal.
Cincinnati Historical Society merged with the Cincinnati Museum of Natural History and Science to become Cincinnati Museum Center. The library retained the Historical Society name.
Cincinnati Historical Society Library name is changed to Cincinnati History Library and Archives.
Historical and Philosophical Society of Ohio: A Short History by Virginius C. Hall, Bulletin of the Historical and Philosophical Society of Ohio Vol. 14, no. 2 (Apr 1958): 86-104.
The name change to the "Cincinnati Historical Society" was reported in the Annual Report of the Cincinnati Historical Society, 1963 in Cincinnati Historical Society Bulletin Vol. 22, no. 1 (January 1964): 41-72