In the year 1885, a group of fifteen men and women founded Second
United Missionary Baptist Church of Madisonville, Ohio. The church,
under the leadership of Rev. Peter Waits, was located in an old tannery
building on Main Street in Madisonville. In the same year, a Sunday
school was founded with Mr. Samuel Logan as the first superintendent.
Fourteen years later, in 1899, a new church was constructed and dedicated
on Center Street for the 28 parishioners. Under successive pastors,
the Center Street church was enlarged, and the original debt was paid.
Reverend Lyman H. Ingraham became pastor of Second United Missionary
Baptist Church in 1924 and the membership of the church grew so large
under his leadership that a larger building was needed. Property at
the corner of Chandler and Glenshade Court was obtained and a new
church was constructed in 1925. The first service was held on June
26, 1926. The congregation also changed its name to Trinity Second
United Missionary Baptist Church.
In 1936, a period of sustained growth was inaugurated under the leadership
of Pastor W. Martin Harris. A second phase of the church was undertaken
and was completed in 1941. Pastor Harris had many additional dreams
for the church but these were unfulfilled, as he fell ill in 1959,
and died in August, 1960. He had faithfully served
his parishioners for 23 years. Rev. William D. Mosley, Jr., was called
to Trinity in 1960. Under the latter’s leadership, the spiritual
and material growth of the church continued. The church established
a fully staffed church office, a children’s training unit and
scholarship aid program. On December 8, 1967, the church was renamed
Trinity Missionary Baptist Church.
To learn more about Trinity Missionary Baptist Church, consult
the following resources: