Wendell P. Dabney      

Guide to African American Resources
at the Cincinnati History Library and Archives

   

 

Introduction

Subject Categories

Index

  

Cincinnati History
Library and Archives

Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
Revelation Baptist Church
 
  Revelation Baptist Church was organized by Rev. Wesley H. Thomas on November 20, 1921 with ten members in a house on George Street in Cincinnati's West End. After moving to a number of locations in the West End over the next several years, the congregation finally purchased in 1928 a building from the German Evangelical Lutheran Emmaeus congregation at 1556 John Street. The congregation has remained at this location up to the present day.  
 
Revelation Baptist Church had six pastors from 1921 to 1960. The turnover was due in part to the deaths of three ministers: Rev. A. C. Healey in 1933, Rev. M. W. Robinson in 1939 and Rev. George W. Sangster in 1960.
 
 
Rev. Fred L. Shuttlesworth of Birmingham, Alabama accepted the pulpit of Revelation Baptist Church in 1961 and served until January of 1966. The church became more financially secure during this time and purchased a parsonage on Dana Avenue and other property. During this time, some church members left the congregation due to disagreements on administrative issues and formed Greater New Light Baptist Church.
 
 
Revelation's ninth pastor, Rev. James. H. Howell, who served from 1973 to 1978, implemented a renovation of the church building. He also organized trips to give church members the opportunity to travel. The congregation's tenth pastor, Rev. Daniel T. Smith, acquired the Wade Street Apartments in 1982 as the church's first investment property.
 
 


 
To learn more about Revelation Baptist Church, consult the following resources:
 

A New Day: Revelation Baptist Church Dedication, April 24, 1977
Pamphlets f286 R449
This booklet commemorating the dedication of the new church building contains a history of the church from 1921 to 1977, photos of former ministers, and floor plans of the new sanctuary.
View catalog record   Request slip
 
 
  
62nd Anniversary, 1921-1983
Pamphlets f286.1 R449a, 1983
The church's 62nd anniversary was honored here with photos of many of the church groups, including the deacons, the Missionary Department and the Vocal Chorus.   View catalog record   Request slip
 
 
 
63rd Anniversary Journal, 1921-1984
Pamphlets 286.1 R449a, 1984
View catalog record   Request slip
 
 


Sources Used for Historical Sketch:
  • A New Day: Revelation Baptist Church Dedication, April 24, 1977. Pamphlets f286 R449, Cincinnati History Library and Archives. Cincinnati Museum Center.
  • 62nd Anniversary Journal, 1921-1983. Pamphlets 286.1 R449a, 1984, Cincinnati History Library and Archives. Cincinnati Museum Center.
  • 63rd Anniversary Journal, 1921-1984. Pamphlets f286.1 R449a, 1983, Cincinnati History Library and Archives. Cincinnati Museum Center.
  • Commemorative Book of the Dedication Services of Greater New Light Baptist Church. Pamphlets q361.75 Z79, Cincinnati History Library and Archives. Cincinnati Museum Center.
  • "Court Ruling Sought in Church Suits," Post-Times Star, August 28, 1965.
  • "Church Group Sees Way to Agreement," Cincinnati Enquirer, August 31, 1965.
 
 

 


Cincinnati History Library and Archives
Mailing address: 250 W. Court Street, Suite 300 East, Cincinnati, OH 45202
Email: library@cincymuseum.org
Copyright © 2004-2017 Cincinnati Museum Center.
All Rights Reserved.
Images not to be reproduced without written authorization.
This online guide opened on February 10, 2004.