Wendell P. Dabney      

Guide to African American Resources
at the Cincinnati History Library and Archives

   

 

Introduction

Subject Categories

Index

  

Cincinnati History
Library and Archives

Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
First Baptist Church of Walnut Hills
 
  First Baptist Church of Walnut Hills began in 1856 as a congregation of both Baptists and Methodists in Walnut Hills under the name of "First Church." It continued in this manner until 1863 when the Methodists withdrew, causing the Baptists to form an independent church.  
 
Under the guidance of Rev. Dangerfield Early, Rev. A. F. Darnell and Rev. Richard D. Phillips, the young congregation grew and thrived. The place of worship moved from Park Avenue to Willow Street and then to Chestnut Street (now Foraker Avenue) where Frank Reeder built a place of worship at a cost of $850.00 for the 52 church members.
 
 
In 1903, the congregation moved once more, this time to Lincoln Avenue, near Park Avenue, because their old church building had been condemned. Materials were salvaged from the old church to build a frame structure on Lincoln Avenue. In 1908, this building was replaced by a new brick structure seating about 500.
 
 
Rev. F. P. Green was pastor during the 1908 building project. He remained in that position until his death in 1948, serving First Baptist Church for 45 years. He was followed by Rev. B. E. Edmondson and, in 1978, by Rev. Thomas Ferrell, Jr.
 
 
First Baptist Church of Walnut Hills was blessed to have two "umbrellas" during its history, veteran ministers who did not wish to be pastor but who stepped forward in times of need, especially in the transitional times between ministerial leadership. Rev. P. B. Ferguson served as an "umbrella" several times in the late 1800s and early 1900s, while Rev. Thomas H. Ferrell, Sr., served in this capacity in the 1970s.
 
 


 
To learn more about First Baptist Church of Walnut Hills, consult the following resources:
 

Centennial Souvenir Program and History of the First Baptist Church of Walnut Hills
Pamphlets f286.17714 F527
This anniversary booklet contains a history of the church and photographs of numerous church groups.    View catalog record   Request slip
 
 
 
118th Anniversary, a Re-Look at Our Past and an Introspection for Our Future: Sunday July 5, 1981

Pamphlets f286.17714 F527, 1981
View catalog record   Request slip
 
 
 
125th Anniversary: Sunday July 3, 1988
Pamphlets f286.17714 F527, 1988
View catalog record   Request slip
 
 


Sources Used for Historical Sketch:
  • Centennial Souvenir Program and History of the First Baptist Church of Walnut Hills, Pamphlets f286.17714 F52, Cincinnati History Library and Archives, Cincinnati Museum Center.
 
 

 


Cincinnati History Library and Archives
Mailing address: 250 W. Court Street, Suite 300 East, Cincinnati, OH 45202
Email: library@cincymuseum.org
Copyright © 2004-2018 Cincinnati Museum Center.
All Rights Reserved.
Images not to be reproduced without written authorization.
This online guide opened on February 10, 2004.