Wendell P. Dabney      

Guide to African American Resources
at the Cincinnati History Library and Archives

   

 

Introduction

Subject Categories

Index

  

Cincinnati History
Library and Archives

Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Health and Medicine

Health Clubs in Action
By the Cincinnati Anti-Tuberculosis League
Pamphlets 614.542 C574hc
The Cincinnati Anti-Tuberculosis League was formed in 1907 as a result of the high percentage of the Negro population suffering from tuberculosis. The first health club was the West End Colored Women’s Health Club, founded in 1924. There were eventually nine clinics organized for the health education of Negroes in Cincinnati and Hamilton County. This pamphlet includes several interviews with members of the clubs.    View catalog record   Request slip

William L. Mallory, Sr.
William L. Mallory, Sr. served in the Ohio House of Representatives for 28 years and was Ohio’s first African American Majority Floor Leader from 1975 to 1994. Health care, drug abuse and aging were important issues during his legislative career. Of particular note was his work to create the first state-wide drug prevention program, the Urban Minority Alcohol Drug Outreach Program.    More information
Negro Opportunities in Cincinnati
Mss VF 851
Negro Opportunities in Cincinnati gives an overview of the history of African Americans in Cincinnati and then goes on to discuss their conditions in the 1920s and 1930s particularly in the areas of housing, health, recreation, crime, social work, education, and business.   Request slip
Dr. Lucy Oxley
Born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania in 1912, Lucy Oxley grew up in Cincinnati and was the first African American woman to earn a medical degree from the University of Cincinnati. She started a family practice in Walnut Hills and served hundreds of patients. Dr. Oxley received many honors during her career.   More information
Shoemaker Clinic
The Shoemaker Clinic was established in 1926 by the Public Health Federation with financing from the Community Chest and the Jacob G. Schmidlapp Fund. The purpose of the clinic was to provide medical service to the African Americans living in the West End of Cincinnati. The staff included African American physicians and nurses. In 1949, the Cincinnati Health Department took over control of the clinic.     More Information

Cincinnati History Library and Archives
1301 Western Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio 45203
Phone: (513) 287-7030 Fax: (513) 287-7095
Copyright © 2004-2014 Cincinnati Museum Center.
All Rights Reserved.
Images not to be reproduced without written authorization.
This online guide opened on February 10, 2004.