Wendell P. Dabney      

Guide to African American Resources
at the Cincinnati History Library and Archives

   

 

Introduction

Subject Categories

Index

  

Cincinnati History
Library and Archives

Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Churches

African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church
The African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church was founded by members of the St. George Methodist Episcopal Church in Philadelphia who sought a separate place to worship without racial discrimination. Led by Rev. Richard Allen, they formed Bethel African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church in 1794. Shortly thereafter A.M.E. churches were formed in the Midwest and Northeast. More information
Allen Temple A.M.E. Church
Allen Temple African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church traces its roots to 1824 when Rev. James King and Rev. Phillip Brodie started the first A.M.E. congregation in Cincinnati. The church has been known as Allen Temple since 1870 when the congregation bought and moved into Bene Israel Synagogue at Sixth and Broadway in downtown Cincinnati. More information
The Black Church in America: An Exploration in Cincinnati
By William Joseph Augman
Thesis 287.87 A921
This dissertation discusses the history of the African American church in America and includes a survey of church members conducted at several African American churches in Cincinnati in 1979. View catalog record   Request slip
Calvary Baptist Church
Calvary Baptist Church began in 1867 in "Hell's Half Acre," a run-down part of town at the foot of Plum Street. The small congregation held outdoor meetings and gatherings in people's homes until a more permanent building could be obtained. Today the church is located in Walnut Hills. More information
First Baptist Church of Walnut Hills
First Baptist Church of Walnut Hills began in 1856 as a congregation of both Baptists and Methodists in Walnut Hills under the name of "First Church." It continued in this manner until 1863 when the Methodists withdrew, causing the Baptists to form an independent church. More information
First Baptist Church of West College Hill
In 1888, a small group of Baptists in West College Hill decided to form a church. Thus, St. Paul Baptist Church was founded with Rev. Campbell serving as the first minister. The small church was built in the Steele Subdivision and was nicknamed "Little Wooden Church on a Hill." The congregation later changed its name to First Baptist Church. For More information, consult the church's centennial publication: Look Where the Lord Has Brought Us From. View catalog record   Request slip
Greater New Light Baptist Church
Greater New Light Baptist Church was formed in 1966 by former members of Revelation Baptist Church. The group met in members' homes, the old Melrose Y.M.C.A. and the Metropolitan C.M.E. annex until they could purchase their own property on North Crescent Avenue in North Avondale. Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth was their first pastor. For More information, consult the church's dedication booklet: Commemorative Book of the Dedication Services of Greater New Light Baptist Church. View catalog record   Request slip
Immanuel Lutheran Church
Immanuel Lutheran Church was formed with the sponsorship of the Lutheran Synodical Conference's Colored Mission Program. The group met in member's homes in the West End until they obtained a building on the corner of Betts and Cutter Streets in 1924. More information
Mt. Moriah Baptist Church
Mt. Moriah Baptist Church was the first church established in Lincoln Heights, Ohio. The church's first permanent building, a wooden structure on Simmons Avenue, was constructed in 1927 on land donated by the Livingston Land Company. More information
Olivet Baptist Church
Olivet Baptist Church was formed in 1984 by a group of worshipers from Zion Baptist Church. The group purchased a church at 6838 Montgomery Road in Silverton and asked Rev. L. Venchael Booth to be their pastor. The church was dedicated on October 28, 1984. For More information, consult the church's publication: The Miracle of Olivet.
View catalog record   Request slip
Revelation Baptist Church
Revelation Baptist Church was formed in 1921 by Rev. Wesley H. Thomas in Cincinnati's West End. After moving to various locations as the congregation grew, the church finally settled at 1556 John Street where it remains to this day. Rev. Fred L. Shuttlesworth served as the seventh pastor of Revelation Baptist Church. More information
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church was founded in 1894 as a mission for African Americans. It became a parish of the Diocese of Southern Ohio in 1937. St. Andrew's first building was at 8th and Mound Streets. It relocated to Evanston in 1960 due to urban renewal. For More information, consult the Profile of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church. It contains a history of the church, a list of past rectors, programs, and photographs.
View catalog record   Request slip
Trinity Missionary Baptist Church
In 1885, a group of fifteen men and women founded Second United Missionary Baptist Church of Madisonville, Ohio. The church moved to the corner of Chandler and Glenshade Court in 1926 and is now known as Trinity Missionary Baptist Church. More information
Union Baptist Church
By 1830, African Americans comprised 4.4% of Cincinnati’s population. Having sufficient numbers, they began forming independent congregations. The first African American Baptist congregation formed was Union Baptist Church. It was started on July 21, 1831 by a group of African Americans from Enon Baptist Church. More information
Zion Baptist Church
Zion Baptist Church was organized in the fall of 1842 by Father Wallace Shelton with members from Union Baptist Church. In 1867, Zion built one of the first brick churches owned by African Americans in Cincinnati. The many accomplishments of the church have been recognized throughout the United States and has earned it the nickname, "Big Zion. More information

Cincinnati History Library and Archives
Mailing address: 250 W. Court Street, Suite 300 East, Cincinnati, OH 45202
Email: library@cincymuseum.org
Copyright © 2004-2018 Cincinnati Museum Center.
All Rights Reserved.
Images not to be reproduced without written authorization.
This online guide opened on February 10, 2004.