Wendell P. Dabney      

Guide to African American Resources
at the Cincinnati History Library and Archives

   

 

Introduction

Subject Categories

Index

  

Cincinnati History
Library and Archives

Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Anti-Slavery and Abolitionism

James Birney
Born into a Kentucky slaveholding family in 1792, James Birney became an abolitionist and was active in the Ohio Anti-slavery Society. In 1836 Birney began publishing The Philanthropist newspaper in New Richmond, Ohio, but within a few months he moved the publication to Cincinnati, where it became the target of violent mobs. More information
Ohio Anti-slavery Society
The Ohio Anti-slavery Society was founded in 1835 in Zanesville as an auxiliary to the American Anti-slavery Society. The organization supported the abolition of slavery throughout the United States and used the newspaper, The Philanthropist, to spread their message. More information
Harriet Beecher Stowe
Harriet Beecher Stowe, the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin, lived in Cincinnati from 1832 to 1850. Stowe's life and experiences in Cincinnati contributed in part to her successful writing career. Stowe heard intense political debates over slavery and abolitionism, and came into contact with fugitive slaves, learning of the often cruel circumstances of their lives. More information
The Underground Railroad
The Underground Railroad was an informal network operated by both whites and blacks that helped runaway slaves travel north to safety and freedom. Ohio was a major player in the Underground Railroad. Of the estimated 100,000 slaves who escaped the South, approximately 40,000 of them are believed to have traveled through Ohio. More information
See also: Slavery

Cincinnati History Library and Archives
Mailing address: 250 W. Court Street, Suite 300 East, Cincinnati, OH 45202
Email: library@cincymuseum.org
Copyright © 2004-2018 Cincinnati Museum Center.
All Rights Reserved.
Images not to be reproduced without written authorization.
This online guide opened on February 10, 2004.